Sunday, November 8, 2015

The Cow(s)

I've promised my friends for years that I would commit some of my unusual stories to paper (or a blog); here is something peculiar that happened several years ago, at my home in rural eastern Ohio:

Naturally, living in the country, there are several farms within a couple miles of us, but for the most part the large livestock are out of our sight. So, one day while Dad and my brothers were out, Mom and I were quite surprised to see a cow wandering down the busy state route we live next to.

Motorists were blowing their horns and waving wildly at the beast, but it continued casually on, taking its surroundings in as it looked strangely at us shouting for it to get off the road. For the record, this thing was enormous, and not having any experience with large livestock, I wasn't going anywhere remotely near it.

Meanwhile, Mom had grabbed the telephone and was making a call to the sheriff's office. They were in disbelief that a cow was down here in our little valley, considering that we don't directly border any cattle farms.

A while later, the cow turned around and headed back up the road in the direction it had come from.

Not the same cow.

But that's not all, I have another cow story that's worth writing down.

My Dad is an avid motorcyclist. One day, some years back, Dad convinced me to take a ride with him on his bike. I was nervous, but thought it would be neat. So Dad took me on a ride through the countryside of Harrison County, eventually ending up on a back road that eventually turned into gravel. Now, anyone that knows anything about motorcycling knows that gravel is treacherous, and so Dad prepared to turn around as we rode into the gravel.

We went over a small hill and found ourselves surrounded by loose cows. No joke.

One was standing right in the road and was so close I probably could have touched it, had I tried. Despite that cow and a few others, Dad managed to turn the motorcycle around and head back over the hill and away from the cows.

Definitely not something I'm going to forget any time soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment