Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Day 3 (Epic End of 2018 Trip)

December 1st, 2018 - Waking up in that comfy bed at the Mandalay Bay, I finally felt rested.


On the flight out, I had tried cramming everything in my backpack like I usually do, but it is a new one and slightly smaller than the one I've had in the past; so, I ended wearing several layers of clothing. Being out here in warmer weather, I didn't want to have to wear the clothes and there was no way to stuff all of that in the backpack... So I began thinking of ways to make it easier for the next flight. I check the airline policy and realized I could take my backpack AND an additional carry on. So, I decided to buy an additional duffel bag or suitcase. The day before I had noticed a shop advertising the "cheapest luggage in town" just across the street.


I decided that I would wait until after I checked out to take care of that. In the meanwhile, I wanted to  call Mom, then shoot some videos in the fancy hotel room (I have a list of videos I want to get made for my YouTube/website.) I called Mom and we talked for awhile. Unfortunately, I only made one video and then it was time to get packed up and ready to go. (It was a video with my toy trains.)


After I checked out, I made some more videos of the exterior of the building and then crossed the street and purchased a duffle bag at that store. I noticed some other things I might like to get as souvenirs. Then, I transferred the stuff I was holding and all the extra stuff I had crammed into the backpack over into the duffel. After that, I went and got something to eat at the McDonald's a few doors down. When I was done eating, I went back and purchased some souvenirs.


Then, I went to the bus stop and began my trip back to the airport. I had to take two buses, and fortunately, I still had a valid bus pass from the night before. There was a really cool bus station halfway between the Strip and the Airport. I snapped a couple pictures.


When I got to the airport, I checked out the little aviation museum they have just inside the doors and up the escalators. It was pretty neat. It's amazing the artifacts and history stored and displayed in different places.  They were playing Dean Martin songs in the airport too, which was neat because he was from my corner of Ohio. It really is a small world.


I spent some time catching up on some stuff on my computer for the couple hours until my flight was ready. Got some neat photos and videos of the sunset as we flew from Vegas down to LA. It was only about a 45 minute flight.


Then I had to wait for my connecting flight to Honolulu, I was listening to music pretty loudly in my earbuds, because I can think better that way, lol, so I didn't hear the airline staff asking for volunteers to take a later flight. They were offering a $1,000 voucher for any volunteers that would take the 11:30am flight instead. When I heard, I volunteered, but they had a line of volunteers before me, so they ended up not needing me. I could have went on a few trips with that money!

Anyway, so I got on the flight as originally planned. I had a middle seat, but thankfully they use slightly larger planes for crossing those distances. I settled in and watched a few movies on those nifty little TVs in the backs of the seats. "Searching," "Sicario: Day of the Soldado" and "Die Hard" all got checked off the watch list on that six hour flight. Yes, I just admitted that I'd never watched Die Hard before the night of December 1st, 2018. Judge me.


Anyway, I when I got to Honolulu I realized that the airport was pretty desolate, it being so early in the morning. Not much was going on and the cleaning crews were out and about. I felt I'd be really conspicuous if I just curled up on the floor and went to sleep, like I had originally planned. Not to mention, this is flipping Hawaii. I want beaches, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. So, I decided I would walk from the airport to Waikiki Beach.

Now, I want to impart how insane this is. I had been awake for a ridiculous amount of time already. It's like 1:00am Hawaii time. That's 3:00am in Vegas. I'd been awake since like 7 or 8am Vegas time. See where I'm going with this? The distance between the airport and Waikiki is like 8.5, 9, maybe even 10 miles. I'm not easily dissuaded once I get a crazy notion in my head.

A couple miles in, I started wondering about my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment