Wednesday, June 14, 2023

167 Days: Countdown to the An Unlikely Fandom Premiere

167 days until the An Unlikely Fandom premiere! 😁

So, for today's countdown post - a humorous anecdote from my childhood. So, it was the early 2000's... 2002 if memory serves. 

I am notoriously hard to surprise. Annoyingly so. My parents were always trying but I'd deduce/snoop/harass intel out of people about any gifts/surprises that were planned for me... particularly Thomas related - it was like I had a sixth sense for anything Thomas related. (Which reminds me of a time where I went thrifting for Thomas merchandise... but that's a story for another time ;) )

So, on this early summer weekend in 2002(?) Mom & Dad had told my brothers and I that we were going on a surprise field trip. I begged for a hint, but they were increasingly vague, hoping they could actually surprise us. 

So we got ready and drove a couple hours; but Dad got a bit lost and asked for directions at a toll booth (GPS systems were not in everyone's pockets back then ;) )

Dad specifically asked for directions to a museum (I don't remember what kind of museum, but it didn't sound like something that required the level of secrecy that Mom & Dad were using) and the man at the toll booth said "oh you mean over there by the Thomas the Tank thing?" Mom and Dad looked at each other and I started SCREAMING with excitement in the back seat. 

Mom & Dad tried so hard to keep the secret of the surprise, just for it to be blown by this hapless toll booth attendant. 

It was a Day Out with Thomas event in Cuyahoga Falls. (So far, this is the only Day Out with Thomas event I've attended.) My brothers and I all enjoyed the day, taking a nice ride on the train pulled by Thomas himself and shopping through the merchandise tent (particularly for ERTLs that we didn't already have) l got my Sodor Canal Boat and one of my brothers got the D.Fusit Gunpowder Trucks. 

I think we got pictures with Thomas and Sir Topham Hatt, but it will take me some time to find those if they still exist (I will try though). 

A very good memory. 😊

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

If you're interested in attending the An Unlikely Fandom premiere, 

For more about An Unlikely Fandom visit: Website • Facebook • Twitter • Instagram 

I'm blogging the countdown to the An Unlikely Fandom premiere, 

I recently started a vlog about Thomas on my YouTube as well. 

You can visit the Thomas the Tank Engine Wiki by clicking here.

Also be sure to check out the Sodor Island Fansite and Sodor Island Forums
if you're looking for more great Thomas the Tank Engine content and discussion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment