Monday, September 18, 2023

Another Movie Day! Poirot, Nicolas Cage & Batman! - September 18th 2023

Worked from 5:30 until shortly after 11, super excited to go to the movies afterwards. Someone made the mistake of leaving their sunglasses at work, so I had to take a selfie with them - them's the rules. I still remember that time over a year ago, when someone forgot their sunglasses and I took a full blown photoshoot with them. Later found out they were $80 sunglasses. 

Anyway, back to the present. Today was the agreed upon day to go to the movies, so I had booked us seats at AMC Waterfront 22 down in Pittsburgh, my favorite movie theater in these parts. AMC Mall 11 in St. Clairsville is a long-standing favorite of mine, but I go to Waterfront more now due to the fact that they have a lot more screens and a better selection of films. 

Today, we watched The Retirement Plan, A Haunting in Venice and The Dark Knight (2008). 

The Retirement Plan is an action comedy about a family in trouble that turns to an estranged grandfather, played spectacularly by Nicolas Cage, who turns out to be a retired hitman. He systematically eliminates the people that would harm his family in a movie that is as humorous as it is action-packed.

I was uncertain what to think when I heard that the next Poirot movie inspired by Agatha Christie's novels was to be a horror movie, entitled A Haunting in Venice. I'd even seen an article purporting that the film took everything that made the mystery a Christie and stripped it away - so I was reasonably concerned, but still hopeful. But, I actually left quite impressed! Clearly it is an adaptation, like Branagh's previous Poirot outings, but I thoroughly enjoyed his take on this mystery and I think he hit all the right notes to make it feel like a Christie.

Finally, I got to see another Nolan film on the big screen, having seen Oppenheimer a couple months ago. (I still wished to have seen Tenet when it had its theatrical run). I had seen the Dark Knight trilogy once before, and I figured out of the 3 if I were to choose to see one in the cinema it would be the middle entry. All 3 of them were showing this week as part of AMC's $5 Faves. It was extra exciting because Mom & Dad had never seen it.

We really enjoyed all 3 movies and had plenty to talk about on the ride home afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment