Sunday, September 3, 2023

Rock & Metal Legends - September 3rd 2023

I woke up at 4:30 and got a shower and a few things done around the house before my manager picked me up and we went to work. I worked 5:30 to 10am today, as I'd requested to leave an hour earlier than usual so that I could get to a concert on time. 

Work was pretty uneventful, being a Sunday morning and the manager was kind enough to take me off cash register at 9:00, so that I could spend the last hour stocking and cooking so that I could make a speedy exit. 

I made it home, changed clothes and waited for Mom & Dad to pick me up. The plan was to drive the four hours to Versailles, Ohio and attend a Christian metal music festival. I had heard that my childhood favorite, Whitecross, would be playing along with a couple other notable bands. 

We had a pleasant drive with great conversation and snacks. (I got to try Little Debbie pumpkin spice donuts 🍩 😋) One of the managers at Wendy's tried to call me and asked if I'd come back in to help and I told her that I was on the other side of the state. 

We arrived in Versailles and the venue was amazing, the BMI Event Center.  We got to hear legendary guitarist Glenn Kaiser perform and, of course, Whitecross. 

In between Kaiser and Whitecross was Daniel Band's performance. Daniel Band is another iconic band that I listened to as a child, particularly the Running Out of Time album, which we listened to on repeat on an audio cassette in the car growing up.  

They blew the performance right out of the park! These guys sounded absolutely amazing, as if it was a studio recording. I loved them all, but Daniel Band ended up being my favorite performance of the night! They even brought a bunch of fans up on stage to help sing their final song. 

Then Whitecross, who have always been a favorite of mine, but I was saddened to find tonight that their long time lead singer had been replaced in 2020 (I was previously unaware). That's not to say that their new guy isn't great, because he is, and I'm very eager to hear their forthcoming album. 

After Whitecross there were two more acts to come, but we opted to leave early because of the length of the drive home. 

An amazing day all around! 

No comments:

Post a Comment