Saturday, January 4, 2020

Choco the Brown Dog

 This post was originally part of "The Life of Zack" series on my "I Am Medley" blog. 

_______________________________________________

In today's story I'll recount one of the devastating formative experiences of my youth, involving one of my favorite pets.

So, shortly after my family moved into the country, and before we were able to move all our dogs from the old house to the new one, a stray dog wandered into our yard. I was only 7 years old at the time.

First we heard a bark in the woods, and then suddenly he was there. He came running right up to us and licked my brother's face. Mom freaked out, and paced back and forth in the front yard trying to figure out where the dog was from while the dog made himself at home.

When Dad got home from work, I begged him to let us keep the dog. Of course, Dad explained that someone may be missing the dog and he set out to visit all the neighbors within a couple miles to determine whether anyone was missing their dog.

Once we determined that no one was looking for the dog, we just started taking care of the dog. He was a good boy, house trained and everything, and he looked out for us kids - we think he helped run off the coyotes that would hang around in our yard, since they weren't used to anybody living there.

Dad named him Choco, because he looked like chocolate.

We had a lot of fun, running around in the woods and having crazy adventures.

My favorite photo of Choco, I carried it with me everywhere until it wore out.
People noticed him and some of our extended family were very curious about him: when we would sit in our living room and watch a movie, Choco would lie down on the floor, and then scoot across the room to sit closer to us. My grandfather always commented on it, "look how he scoots across the room! He's a scooter!"

After a few wonderful weeks, Dad was away for work for a couple days and a stranger showed up - and claimed that he had been looking for his missing dog.

There was something sketchy about this guy, and Choco hid under the bushes next to our house, cowering and barking at him.

The guy explained that it was his dog, that he had been driving back and forth in front of our house for work, and that he had seen his dog in our yard. He just now got a chance to stop. He said something about his kid missing "Scooter" and when Choco didn't want to go with him, he suggested coming back later with his girlfriend to get him.

Mom was nervous because Dad was away and she didn't want the stranger to know this, and she told him that he should take his dog. He dragged Choco to his car and stuffed him in the back seat. Poor dog looked back out the window at me, trying to get out of the car.

I was very angry at Mom at the time, but as an adult now I can understand why she didn't feel safe telling the creepy stranger no.

I was heartbroken and spent many hours following this staring silently towards the road and the woods beyond hoping that Choco would find his way back to me.

That is the sad story of Choco the Brown Dog.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions about why the man came to get Choco, referred to him as "Scooter" and why there were numerous attempts for years following to steal, kill and otherwise harm our other dogs because I've never found conclusive proof, but have suspicions.
_______________________________________________

I've decided to start ending my blogs with songs that I like. I do not own or endorse the music or artists, unless otherwise noted. Please enjoy my selection of the day.

Today's selection is "Ol' Red" by Blake Shelton simply because it's about a dog and happens to be a favorite of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment