Wednesday, January 8, 2020

What it was like being Homeschooled

 This was originally published as part of "The Life of Zack" series on "I Am Medley. 

_______________________________________________

A lot of people ask me about my homeschooling experience, so I figured I'd devote a post to a few thoughts about this. 

Short answer: I loved being homeschooled. 

Also, a distinction between our homeschooling and a lot of other homeschoolers: My parents chose my curriculum, made my lesson plans and filed the appropriate paperwork with the county to prove that I was being educated. The other method is just to do school at home, whatever the school is teaching you, it is done online. It's an important distinction.

Part of the reason I was homeschooled was because my parents wanted to teach me their own way, and not leave it up to someone else. Mom selected the curriculum. We tried different things as far as lesson plans and structure from year to year. 

Early years were based around the teaching strategies of a curriculum called "Weaver;" we spent a couple years in a unit study based around the Little House on the Prairie and we bought a curriculum that was entirely on CD-ROMs when I was in high school.

I enjoyed the fact that my brothers (who were homeschooled as well) and myself got learn at our own paces; I struggled with math and excelled in reading and writing, but my brothers were the complete opposite, so being homeschooled allowed us to spend more time on what we struggled with until we could get it right.

One time I repeated a year in math while I moved ahead in my other subjects, because I was having a hard time with it.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time reading, in school and in my spare time. Summer Reading programs at the local libraries were definitely a highlight for me growing up.

The big question everyone always asks - "how did you get a chance to socialize?" The truth is, I socialized all the time. Kids on our block, kids at our church - and perhaps more importantly, I learned to interact with people older than myself - not just people my age.

Here in Ohio, there are two ways to pass the grade and go forward to the next year: to take a standardized test or to have a certified teacher review samples of your work for the year and sign off on it. We always did the latter. 

When I graduated high school, there was a ceremony at the state homeschooling convention, with a number of other students (perhaps a hundred?). I'm not sure if they do anything like that anymore, but it was a great experience for me.

People ask me if I'll homeschool my kids and I always say, I'm definitely planning on it.
_______________________________________________

I've decided to start ending my blogs with songs that I like. I do not own or endorse the music or artists, unless otherwise noted. Please enjoy my selection of the day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment