Sunday, January 5, 2020

The Ostrich in New Jersey

 This post was originally part of "The Life of Zack" series on my "I Am Medley" blog. 

_______________________________________________

This is one of my crazy stories, I like to tell people this one when they first meet me and a lot of them don't believe me.

When I was about 8 or 9 years old, my Dad searched eBay for building supplies to do some work on our house. He hit the jackpot one day, a real bonanza... a whole tractor trailer load of brand new windows and doors, name-brand material, Andersens and such. Well, Dad bid on that eBay auction and won it all for a great price.

The whole family got in the van, hooked up the trailer and went on this little adventure together. This load of windows was located somewhere in New Jersey, so we had a bit of a drive.

Once we got there, it was getting dark and Dad got to meet and talk to the seller for a little bit. The seller showed us to the items, still in the tractor trailer. Dad was going to have to unload them himself, because the seller was unable to stay and us kids were too small at the time. Dad didn't mind though, because he'd got a great deal.

There was one little thing though that the seller told Dad before he left for the night... There was an ostrich living on the grounds. A mean ostrich, that had almost killed someone and completely totaled a car not long before, and, it was huge. This guy thought it was so cool, he'd go and show it to Dad before he left too. So the seller takes Dad in his pickup truck to go and check it out.

Dad later told me that the ostrich was sitting down and sleeping when they drove past it in the guy's pickup - and that even sitting down, this beast of a bird was towering over the truck as they drove past!

Of course, all of this was downright thrilling to me. I guess spending the night near an ostrich was pretty cool, being the next best thing to a dinosaur. I slept under one of the bench seats in the van. You know, so that I wouldn't be eaten in my sleep, but could still be close to the action.

Dad worked through the night, hauling the windows and doors out of the semi and onto our smaller trailer. I had to get out of the van once, to use the "little boys room," it was rather spooky, dozens of old trailers sitting around, eerily lit by overhead lights. It was something to remember, that's for sure.


Not everything would fit on the trailer for one trip, so we had to make two. But, by the second time, I was pretty sure that the ostrich wasn't going to attack. It is sort of amusing now to think how excited I got over the ostrich. Must have watched too many dinosaur movies back then or something...
_______________________________________________

I've decided to start ending my blogs with songs that I like. I do not own or endorse the music or artists, unless otherwise noted. Please enjoy my selection of the day. 

Today's selection is a classic, "Dream On" by Aerosmith.


No comments:

Post a Comment