Sunday, January 12, 2020

Lessons from Mount Carmel

 This is part of the "2020" series, originally published on my "I Am Medley" blog. 

_______________________________________________

The main thing I remember from today, amid the haze of everything that is going on, is the evening sermon at church. The preacher that night read the story of the Elijah and the prophets of Baal.

"How long halt ye between two opinions?" was the question Elijah asked the people of Israel and the preacher asked the congregation that night.

You cannot serve God and the Devil, you cannot live one way all week and live differently only on a Sunday.

I was very familiar with these passages of scripture because I had memorized them some years ago and entered in a Bible memorization contest. But something new jumped out at me tonight.

The prophets of Baal thought they had to do something crazy to get their god's attention (they were cutting themselves, jumped up and down and screamed according to the scriptures) and to be loved and acknowledged by him - but the prophet of the One True God knew that he only had to speak to Him.

Out of all the different lessons in that story, that one jumped out at me, because I see parallels between that and things I see every day, and I'd never really given it any thought before.
_______________________________________________

I've decided to start ending my blogs with songs that I like. I do not own or endorse the music or artists, unless otherwise noted. Please enjoy my selection of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment