Monday, January 6, 2020

Crossing the Alligator Bridge

 This was part of "The Life of Zack" series on my "I Am Medley" blog. 

_______________________________________________

This story is even harder to believe than the ostrich story. 

When I was just a little fella, maybe 4 or 5 years old, my family went to a zoo. This zoo was unusual, in that its barriers were... Lacking. In some cases, non existent. Such was the case with the alligator enclosure. There was an arch and a walkway across the pond inside it. I ran out on the rickety walkway and crossed almost all the way over the pond.

I recall turning around and calling to my parents, who had stopped at the arch and apparently were discussing the safety of the area. They were pushing my little brother in a stroller and decided there was no way they were going to cross the pond.

I hadn't even begun to consider danger, even looking beyond the pond and seeing the alligators sunning themselves on a nearby hill. When Dad called me back however, something about his voice made me really take a look around...

I noticed the murky, green water not far below me I noticed that I couldn't see a thing through it. There could be an alligator waiting under the surface for me to fall. I ran quickly off the bridge and back to Mom and Dad. I always wondered whether there had been an alligator under that murky green water.


I got the chance to hold a young alligator some years later, it was a really cool experience; but there still have been times when I've had nightmares about murky water... You never know what's under there!
_______________________________________________

I've decided to start ending my blogs with songs that I like. I do not own or endorse the music or artists, unless otherwise noted. Please enjoy my selection of the day. 

"Dare You to Move" by Switchfoot. Great band. Saw them live in the summer of '18. 


No comments:

Post a Comment